Frequently Asked Questions for TFA Graduate Students

How do I know who my Academic Advisor is?

Josh Avery serves as the advisor to TFA students. You may contact Josh at If you transition into the MAT program and need to find your advisor, click on the My UNC Charlotte from the UNC Charlotte homepage. Log in using your NinerNET username and password. Select the Banner Self Service icon. Select the Student Services/Student Accounts tab and click on Student Records. Select Advising Transcript and you will be able to view your advisor’s name.

You may contact the IT Service Desk at 704‑687‑5500.

Generally, TFA students complete the Summer Institute via Delta State, and then begin coursework at UNC Charlotte in the Fall semester. Refer to the TFA tutorial on Canvas authorized at admission: Contact Josh Avery with specific questions regarding scheduling and course offerings:

The payment process for TFA classes is different than the regular Banner payment process. Go to the Graduate Center website at Click on the Teach for America Program Registration tab and log in using your NinerNET username and password. Complete all fields and click Complete Registration to make your payment. You are required to pay for classes by the deadline printed printed in the Academic Calendar ( Failure to pay by the deadline will result in courses being dropped from your schedule.

In an effort to allow 1 year to establish in-state residency, TFA candidates pay a special fee during the first year of their Fall cohort (Fall/Spring/Summer). The standard tuition rate for in-state or out-of-state candidates will apply thereafter, per 2019-2020 catalog.

Classes are offered at a prescribed pace which is currently $2,000 per term. Additionally, this fee covers textbooks and admission to various professional development opportunities sponsored by the Cato College of Education.

Before withdrawing you should consult with the TFA advisor or TEAL staff member.

You are subject to the University’s refund policy. If you withdraw from ALL courses you may be entitled to a refund depending on the date on which you withdraw. If you withdraw from one or more classes but retain other classes after the Add/Drop date you will not receive a refund.

Refund Information

I have questions about my Financial Aid award. Who can I contact?

You may contact Leilani Mantilla ( in the UNC Charlotte Office of Financial Aid.

Books are ordered and purchased by the Office of Teacher Education Advising and Licensure. Email for book/material pick up options.

Graduate Certificate students are allowed to earn one C grade. All other grades must be A’s or B’s.

You may attend any of the workshops offered by the Center for Graduate Life. Workshops and seminars are offered on a variety of subjects throughout the semester. Visit for upcoming opportunities. You will also be invited to participate in some events sponsored by the Cato College of Education. You may also make suggestions for workshops by emailing Josh Avery at and financial assistance may be available.

You are required to establish NC residency within one year. TFA Corp Members MUST establish residency in NC to receive in-state tuition after 12 months. Refer to information in the TFA tutorial in Canvas authorized at admission.

You have four years to complete the Graduate Certificate in Teaching and six to complete the Master of Arts in Teaching.

After DSU transcripts are received by the local TFA office they are forwarded to the College of Education and added to your UNC Charlotte transcript. This can be a lengthy process. If your DSU courses are not noted on your UNC Charlotte transcript by the end of your first semester, please contact Josh Avery at

Contact Josh Avery at